Jerk 5-5-5+ reps at 60%/70%/80%
85-98-113(8)
I loved doing the jerks. Even big Eric was there to coach me through. But my body wasn’t cooperating. I’d been running on fumes for the past few days trying to study for exams and prepping for papers. I had been averaging 3-4 hours of sleep per night for the last 3 nights and finally crashed.
I think I had another 3-5 reps in me … but the body can’t do much when it NEEDS to sleep and eat more.
Metcon 5 rounds: DNF
8 Overhead squats (60)
30 Double-unders
Optional post WOD: DNF
3x Max push ups (90 seconds rest)
Oh yes, big DNF’s. after the jerks, I could barely walk or set up. I was dragging and waddling around I was so tired. When Coach asks you twice if you’re ok and gives you a funny look, it’s time to get over the ego, go home, and get some frickin rest.
I may have been able to get away with this when I was 25, but I can’t do that anymore at 40. The pneumonia debacle was a big, humbling wakeup call … better to play it safe and I won’t lose much missing a day. We just make it up on the next and fight another day.
Speaking of the fight. There are many reasons why I scream, curse, and get myself into a rage when I work out … its how pissed I am that my 40 year old body won’t perform the way I want it to or recover as well as it used to. The frustration level manifests itself into a kind of “workout rage”… that and the fact that I have raging hormones, it’s a nice release to get it out, and it’s a little hard to control when I get to a certain intensity level.
No comments:
Post a Comment