I admit it, I hate the holidays.
...but not necessarily for conventional reasons. They don’t stress me
out...I love the food and all the cooking...it’s a nice excuse to dress up
and wear makeup…and I confess that I like getting presents
But ...
They also make hypocrites out of people, they enable/encourage unhealthy
binge behavior, and they put people I love and care about at risk.
I quietly watch those who profess having a strong Christian faith,
participating in mainstream holiday activities that are historically
inaccurate, commercially driven, and/or Pagan in nature ... I watch and
listen to them judge me, my “lifestyle”, and my method of practicing my
faith. I am just not convinced that JC would want things this way and I feel
bad watching others “of faith” ignorantly go on the way they do. I am
DEFINITELY no angel and certainly no one to judge, but I acknowledge that my
sins are, in fact, sins. So I have a hard time taking “Christians” too
seriously when they judge my co-habitation and occasional poor choices in
words but turn around and worship the false god called “Commericalised
Holiday Spirit” and “Santa Claus” complete with “Christmas” trees, presents,
decorations, and “holiday” service. In fact, I have a hard time calling
myself a Christian, Catholic, etc because the methods around the institution
(like observing holidays) ruin my relationship with God.
Mainstream holidays are a farce in so many ways and yet considered
acceptable because they are so mainstream.
Dude, seriously?! Every day that you wake up healthy with clothes, shelter,
loved ones, food, and a means to procure these things, it’s a big holiday.
Being a member of the lucky sperm club should be holiday enough for any
individual in this country.
Yes, I feel bad that Christians can’t seem agree on how we give it up to the
big JC, but there you have it. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree,
put on a smile, try your best not to judge, and move on. I suspect that, in
the exception of Buddhists, all other religious peeps have the same
methodology and ideology issues. Sometimes I think Buddhists are the closest
to getting it right – they are total pacifists, they feel that all religious
figures have significant impact on humanity and spirituality, they embrace
the ideal of enlightened beings (God), and their message isn’t around
spritial entities but around compassion, benevolence, peace, and love.
Instead of this, I get to watch Jews, Christians, Muslims, et. al. duke it
out in the name of the same being. What schmuckery.
This brings me to the next reason of why I hate “the holidays” ... the
risks. There are reasons for unhealthy eating/drinking behavior and reasons
where my less than emotionally stable loved ones peer out into the abyss.
But mostly I hate them because the love of my life has to gear up and get
out on the street because "the sheep and shitheads" can't be trusted to
behave themselves. He gets to be grossly underpaid to do a job where people
hate and lie to him as easily as I type on this keyboard. He protects people
who have no clue what’s really out there if he weren’t there to stop them. I
bite my tongue to bleeding every time I hear a liberal with designer
clothing, “holiday spirit”, and 6-figure incomes tell me how much they hate
how the cops are racists who profile people, how people in the projects are
just poor victims, and that if we just had a little more holiday spirit, all
would be good in the world.
I’m not cynical or bitter, I’m just frustrated with the inherent problem of
free will, egos, and faith in human beings. We are such flawed, fragile, and
ignorant creatures.
Wow! I really need to lay off the coffee...
No comments:
Post a Comment