19.12.11

Another week, another goal

so this week felt a little slow to start, but i got my work in and i feel good that i'm getting more consistent. matt and i have a running debate over our approach to training, but I think we’ve grown to appreciate and leverage each other’s differences. what works for an early 30-something "I live to train" male may have to work differently for a 40-something "I train cause I have to" female ...

also, given some things in the career pipeline for Matt, the Denali West Rib is out for 2012. we’ve decided that we’ll do a number of smaller climbs (sub 20k ft) for climbing season so that our trips are shorter, varied, fun, and he’s got more flexibility to go off and do his … stuff … yeah, ignorance is bliss

Monday 12 December

5 round max @

  • ring dips (lil band) @ 8-6-4-4-3
  • doubleunders: 28-68(PR!)-31-29-14
  • deadhang pullups: 6-4-4-4-3
  • front squat: just worked with ROM @ 65-75-85#

the front squats were more than 5 reps each … this was more just working at it … trying to remember the cues I learned from rudy and kurt … turning the dinner plates, keep lower back and glut/ham chain engaged, and the neutral, but engaged spine … didn’t feel it in the knees and they felt “easier”, so I’ll just keep chipping away at it … matt says I still “quad it” too much – I think quad dominance is a habit from climbing, but I still want to develop more efficient, overall strength

Wednesday 14 December

5 Rounds @ 90-110-120-130-140f

  • 1 Power Clean
  • 1 Hang Power Clean
  • 1 Hang Squat Clean
  • 1 Front Squat

… power cleans felt like expedition packs, so it was fun and good work … but overall, this was a heart breaker because my full squat isn’t my strongest movement … at 155, I got all the first 2 movements … struggled like hell on the hang squat, then bottomed out on the front squat …

part of me thinks it’s mental, but mostly, I think it’s a combination of 2 crappy middle-aged knees and not engaging my glut/ham chain well … it’s frustrating because they’re weak and I have been working on those more and more

… being a skinny shit doesn’t help either. I can’t seem to break 130lbs without going off paleo … which my GI tract doesn’t want me to do

Saturday 17 Dec

“The Chief” @ 21 rounds total (6-6-5-5-4)

5 rounds of 3:00 AMRAPs of

  • 3 Power cleans
  • 6 Push-ups
  • 9 Squats
  • 1:00 rest

this was fun!!! although I really hate crowds and CFC is starting to develop a little bit of a globo, high school gym class feel (sorry! no offense intended! I still LOVE you guys), I loved going in. the coaching is great, but the classes are too big … I REALLY miss that 1:5 ratio in classes and when you have to constantly fine-tune ROM, these big classes don’t work for me on a regular basis.

however, from a community, “get your GRR on”, have some fun perspective, it did the trick. long workouts are best in a group regardless of size.

Sunday 18 Dec

5min AMRAP @ 4rds + 8 goblet squats (20#)
- 10 burpees
- 10 goblet squats

still sore from “the Chief”, so I went lighter to maintain ROM integrity. it worked out well and I got good work in. it was also really great to WOD with matty. he’s a total ball-buster, but he can be fun to work out with too… so cute, my big muscly bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment